Wednesday, November 21, 2007

So Thankful

We are so very grateful this Thanksgiving for the amazing blessing Elliana is. She is a miracle in every way. This is a picture that was taken not long after Elli was born. She was 1 lb. 2 oz. and 10" long. She was on blood pressure medication, and a slew of other medications that I can't even remember. She had a heart murmur. She was on a ventilator. Her eyes were sealed shut, and her skin was like tissue paper. It was a scary time for us, but also a time to grow and learn.



Here is Elli now. Thanksgiving day is her 3 month birthday, which makes it a little more special this year. She is 17" long and weighs just over 5 lbs. Her eye exam last week showed that her eyes are immature, but normal. Her brain ultrasound was also normal. Her bones are making steady improvements, and aren't as fragile as they were a few weeks ago. She is on low flow oxygen and is learning how to coordinate eating. She is just so darling!!!!


I listened to a song on the new Christmas album by Josh Groban that has a beautiful description of our experience.
So for tonight we pray for all we know can be,
and on this day we hope for all we still can't see.
It's up to us to be the change,
and even though we all could still do more,
There's so much to be thankful for.
I am grateful for my faith that has been strengthened and my prayers that have been answered. I am grateful for a husband who considered it a blessing to take care of me while I was on bed rest, and who continues to do more than his share around the house. I am grateful to my son who demonstrates daily what faith really is. I'm grateful to my family and friends who have served our family and have felt our joy and our fear right along with us. It is so much easier to go through this when you know you're not alone. I'm grateful for a tremendous medical staff who love Elli, and know exactly what to do for her. I am grateful for the countless ways which the Lord has shown me He is aware and that He loves me. The third verse of I Believe In Christ has been particularly powerful for me. I was praying silently and tearfully after I was told to go on bed rest. I was terrified of what statistically should happen, and prayed desperately for everything to work out. I wanted my plan to be the Lord's plan, and was fearful that it might not be. I was listening to a tabernacle choir CD as I cried and prayed. My attention was suddenly directed to the third verse.
I believe in Christ who stands supreme.
From Him I'll gain, my fondest dream.
And while I strive through grief and pain,
His voice is heard, ye shall obtain.
I am so grateful for the mercy of a loving Father who hears and answers prayers, and for the empathy and comfort given to me by the Savior. They live and they know us. I am grateful for this time of year to be able to focus on the Savior, and to be able to recognize how involved He is in my life. He has had His hand in everything all along, and though I have gone through some really difficult times in my life, there really is so much to be thankful for.

2 comments:

Ker said...

What a strength you are Tami. This is what I needed to hear on this Thanksgiving Day! She is beautiful and Heaavenly Father is blessing you daily.

Unknown said...

Tami and Wayne,
You are such incredible examples of faith. Thank you for sharing your miracle with us!
We love you and pray for you always.