Monday, June 8, 2009

Parenting.....AHHHH!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions how to overcome an 8 1/2 year old thinking he knows more than everyone else, particularly his mom? It doesn't matter what I say ALL day long, it will always be contested by a much wiser Bradley. He will argue and contest everything I say, and I mean everything, literally!!

Here is an example from our walk this morning: We noticed a little boy running through a sprinkler and drinking the water. Bradley said, "he shouldn't drink that water." To which I replied, "you're right, that's irrigation water." Then he continued, "besides he can't run through those sprinklers anyway, it's too cold today, and that's not his property." I told him that it was up to his mom whether or not it was too cold, and that he could run through those sprinklers because they were in the park. It didn't matter what I said, he wouldn't believe that they were in the park. He absolutely knew that the little boy was trespassing in someone elses backyard. I have learned to just stop talking.

He is a smart kid, I know that, but how did I create this know-it-all monster? And now that I have, how do I fix it?

I am at the end of my rope with this and need some advice. I don't think he and I will survive the summer the way it is now.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

I have a good book called "Bringing Up Boys" by James Dobson. He says that boys sometimes do this kind of thing because it is a way to differentiate themself as a boy or male. It is their way of saying "I'm different from you, Mom. I'm a boy or man. I'm like Dad". According to Dobson it is a healthy sign. I don't know if this is what you mean, but this is what I tell myself when my boys contradict me and when they all side with Dad on everything he says. Maybe I'm just being too lenient with them- who knows- I'll have to wait another 15 years to know if I am approaching it right or not. See you soon!

Jenny said...

Send him to our house for a day- my boys and him can drive each other crazy! Seriously, we might go crazy this summer too! My "groove" has been thrown off with the kids all out of school and we would love Bradley to come play and keep the boys entertained!

Caleb said...

well here in North Dakota if someone disagrees, rather than argue they say," I suppose," which is their way of saying, "I think you're wrong, but it's not worth my time."

Marianne said...

You sound a little distressed. Maybe you could use a visit? Mom offered me to have a sleep over and Thursday, so maybe we'll come down on Friday? I could use a visit too. Bradley and Noah can play and give us both a break.