Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Christmas

We were home for the first time on Christmas Eve. We decided it would be fun to have Wayne's brother and his family come over for dinner. I thought it was about time to use my nice dishes. They haven't been unpacked since our move 2 years ago. I really enjoyed being fancy for once.

We had turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, homemade rolls (Crystal made them), stuffing, peas, and red Kool-Aid. Bradley picked out the Kool-Aid the night before at Macey's. For dessert we had Elli's unbirthday cake with ice cream. The night ended fairly early, as it was Christmas Eve and all. Alan and Crystal took Sadie and Sawyer home around 8:00 to get them to bed. We didn't want to do anything to discourage Santa from stopping by.

After Alan and Crystal left we turned on our CD of the other wise man. It is an old radio version of the story with music and sound effects. It was a tradition for Wayne's family to listen to it every Christmas Eve, so we have done the same ever since we were married. While we listened we all worked on a ginger bread house. Elli had already gone to bed for the night. A little early for her, but she must have sensed the importance of sleeping well on Christmas Eve.

Bradley (all on his own) wanted to make sure that Santa didn't forget what he had asked for. He placed his list right smack in the middle of the Christmas tree so that it couldn't be missed. Bradley believes with his WHOLE heart in Santa, and the magic of Christmas.

Christmas morning. What fun! Santa didn't forget to stop by, that is certain!!!

We told Bradley that we couldn't go downstairs until everyone was awake, including Elli. She usually sleeps until 7:30 or 8:00. So he requested that we bring our small TV with a VCR into his bedroom to help occupy his time in the morning. I could hear him in there watching How The Grinch Stole Christmas starting at around 7:00. I had already put breakfast in the oven, so we were ready to eat around 7:30. We had our traditional Christmas casserole. It's a yummy sausage, egg and potato casserole that we love! I prepare it on Christmas Eve, wake up early to put it in the oven, and then it's ready for us to eat before all the festivities begin. By time we were done eating we could hear Elli waking up. Bradley was dying at this point. He had only stolen a peak down the stairs, and he said he just couldn't wait any longer. The suspense was killing him!


Santa leaves a few items unwrapped. Bradley got his General Grievous and his star wars sticker book. (It's only been one week, but he had completed the sticker book already)

Santa brought Elli another baby. This one has eyes that open and close. She loves her new baby!
Santa tried really hard to find toys that would help Elli want to sit up more. The piano is already a favorite with her, and the busy ball popper in the background just fascinates her. Santa really know what he is doing!!

A couple of weeks before Christmas I went and bought the movie A Christmas Story. Bradley loved it and watched it once a day almost for the next 2 weeks. Well, this was the reason we bought the movie. Wayne thought it would be fun to be able to go shooting with Bradley when they go to his parents house, so Bradley got his very own Red Ryder BB Gun. I know, I know, he'll shoot his eye out. He took it down to Grandma's already and had a blast with it.

I didn't get to go down to Grandma and Grandpa's this year. We still have to keep Elli away from large crowds. But Wayne and Bradley had a wonderful time, as always! Staying up until 1:00 in the morning playing with cousins, sledding, watching movies, eating tons of great food, and of course debating every topic you can think of. This photo show just a handful of the family.

Every Christmas while presents are being passed out and opened, Grandpa sneaks in a little nap. Staying up late every night with passionate discussions wears anybody out!

Grandma always puts together a wonderful Christmas for everyone. We love and appreciate her and Grandpa!

Kristi had my name this year, and she knows me well. These are the cute holiday blocks she sent up to me. She also included a yummy smelling home spritzer from a store that I love called Krumpet's. Thanks Kristi, I really love it!!!!

Kristi's daughter Heidi had Elli's name, and since we weren't there for Christmas I thought I'd better take pictures of Elli sporting her new outfit.

Heidi also gave Elli a cute ginger bread story with a ginger bread cookie cutter and a ginger bread cookie mix. What a darling theme! Elli loves to read books. Thanks Heidi. Wish we could have been down there with everyone.

It has been a wonderful Christmas, and it is hard to see it come to an end. I am already looking forward to next Christmas. This is my favorite time of the year. I love all the emotions and feelings that Christmas brings with it. We hope you all had a wonderful Christmas as well.

4 comments:

Marianne said...

It looks like you guys had so much fun! Those pictures of Elli are all so cute. I love that one with her new outfit! She and Clara got the same toy- the busy ball popper. We ALL love that toy. That's so fun that Bradley got his first BB gun. He's growing up. Did you know I got my first gun too? Yep, sure did. I promise I won't shoot my eye out.

Christy said...

What a fun Christmas! I love the picture of all of you. I am glad this can be a memorable Christmas without having to have worry on top of it. Happy New Years!

Caleb said...

I like being home for our though I did miss seeing the family after. It looks like the children ( including the grown up ones) had a great time.

Abbey said...

Looks like SO much fun, Tami. Love your "fancy" table. Maybe someday I can have a fancy table, too.;)