Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Our Story

I just stumbled on a song I haven't heard in a very long time, For The First Time by Kenny Loggins. It got me thinking back to how Wayne and I met, and how we got together. It's kind of a long story, so I'll be as short as I can:


We met back in the fall of 1991 at college. I was a freshman and he was a sophomore, just home from his mission. He and his roommate were my home teachers. Wayne assigned himself to my room (as the Elders Quorum Pres.) because he thought my roommate was cute and wanted to get to know her better. He did, and they dated the rest of the year. During the year he and I were in a production together at the institute. I sang a solo, and Wayne had a speaking part as Nephi. After the program my dad pulled me aside as said, pointing to Wayne, "I want you to marry someone just like him."


Wayne was called to be the institute president for the next year, so he stayed on for a 3rd year. We did a lot together that year, but only as friends. He was no longer dating my old roommate, but it still seemed a little weird to both of us because he had dated her so seriously. We did go to one dance together, and I can honestly say it was the funnest dance I've ever been too. You should have seen us doing all the country dancing stunts he had taught me. It was one of those times where everyone around you stops dancing just to watch you dance. We were pretty awesome! :D


At the end of the year I went home because my missionary was returning home. Yep, I had been waiting for a missionary my whole 2 years at college. He came home and very soon after that we were engaged. By the end of the summer I had called off my engagement, and was left without plans. It was a tough, emotionally draining time, and I needed to get away. So I decided to go back to the place I loved. I returned for a 3rd year at college. It was just what I needed, and it helped me get through everything.


At the end of that year I decided rather suddenly that I needed to go on a mission. So papers were submitted, and I was off on my mission all within 4 months. I got home July 1996, and began working full time.


In the meantime, Wayne was studying accounting and trying his hand at teaching seminary. He was doing really well in the teaching program and they really wanted to hire him, but the catch to that is that you need to be married. He dated a lot of girls, but still hadn't found the right one.


We got together once or twice after my mission, but just as friends. I think we always got together to go dancing. I love dancing with Wayne! He has his own style and technique, and I've never met anyone that dances like him. Since he is the one who taught me how to country swing, I have always danced best with him. But clueless as we were, neither one of us ever thought there would be anything between us.


So in the early summer of 1998 I went dancing with my sister when I ran into a friend of mine and Wayne's from college. He told me that Wayne had graduated any was living only 1/2 hour from my home. He thought we should all get together for dinner sometime. I thought it was a great idea, but didn't think anything else of it.

That very weekend, Wayne had gone through a bit of a personal crisis. He had been casually dating several girls, and knew he needed to narrow it down to just one or two, so he prayed for some guidance. Instead of being prompted on who he should focus on, he was told by every single one of them that they didn't think it was going to work out. He was left with no one. Then he received a call from our friend, who proceeds to tell Wayne that he really needed to call me and take me out. The next night he got a phone call from his Aunt (who used to work with my mom, so she knew who I was), and she told Wayne that he really ought to call me and take me out now that he lived so close. He was feeling a bit dumbfounded from his experience of being dumped several times in one week, and knew he needed a break from the dating scene. He thought it would be perfect to go out with me because there would be no pressure. After all, we were just friends, it wasn't going to go anywhere, right?


We went to the Manti Pageant, and had a great time as always. Since neither one of us had a significant other, we went out a few more times. Then he asked me to to go down to his parents home for the weekend to attend his high school reunion with him. While there, he introduced me as his girlfriend, which was news to me. When I got home from our weekend together I realized that I knew exactly where things were headed, so a couple of days later I told him. (Which by the way "scared the tar out of him". Those are his exact words.) I said, "I know where this is headed, so just let me know when you are ready." A little too bold I'm afraid. Luckily, I only scared him enough to slow him down, not scare him away. We were engaged in September 1998 and married January 8, 1999.


It only took us 7 years to realize how much we love and need each other. That's why the lyrics to the song are so perfect for us. If you want to listen, it's the last song on my playlist.

6 comments:

Kayla said...

Tami, I loved your story! I have loved reading your blog and keeping up on your family. Your little ones are so beautiful! I loved hearing your story about how you and Wayne met. It's nice to know how other people dealt with the college/dating scene that I'm in right now!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that it took so long for you guys to get together!! But I am sure glad my cousin made such a wise decision! :)

Maleen said...

I loved this story...you could make a movie out of it. It is one of the good ones where everyone knows that the boy and girl should get together (even though they don't know it themselves) and of course it ends with a happy ending. Really romantic.

Unknown said...

It's sure a good thing that he managed to get the "tar" back and ask you to marry him - without that I never would have known you!! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm with Kara, I had no idea. I knew you guys had known each other for a while but not the so much back and forth. I'm glad he has you. You guys are a great couple with some cute kids. It was great to see Wayne and Bradley during the holidays. Wayne is always so good to stop by and see us. Bradley was so excited about his gun and to go play at G and G's. Good luck with tax season!

Stacy Holmes said...

I can't believe you married Wayne after all..I always thought you were an item anyway! What took you guys so long! Good to snoop in your life! You look fabulous!-Feel free to stalk my blog too!